Christmas and Your Pet

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Christmas time, from mistletoe and being merry, to good tidings and tinsel, it's fun for everyone!

Whilst your pet has probably already written to Santa, here is a list of things they won't want for Christmas...

Raisins (and grapes) can cause kidney failure, keep christmas pudding and cake, and those mince pies, out of paws' reach.

Christmas Pudding

Chocolate contains theobromine, which is highly dangerous to dogs and cats.

Round Chocolate Truffle

Lights are pretty, but likely to be chewed by puppies and kitten and inquisitive dogs and cats.


Berries on mistletoe and holly are attractive to pets, but can cause vomiting and diarrhoea if eaten.

Decorative Berries

Snow globes and similar tree ornaments can contain antifreeze, which if even just licked by a cat could be fatal.


Onions and garlic, for example in gravy, sausages and stuffing can cause anaemia in dogs.

Potatoes in Cream

Tinsel is very commonly chewed and eaten by both dogs and cats - it can then become stuck in the intestines. Please keep an eye on your pets as you really don't want a trip to the emergency vet on Christmas day for surgery!

Festive Christmas Gift

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in biscuits, cakes and chocolates. Have look at the ingredient list on things you have at home. If eaten it can be fatal.

Assorted Cookies

Poinsettias, and plants such as mistletoe, lilies, holly and ivy, can cause vomiting and diarrhoea to varying degrees.


Macadamia nuts are especially toxic, however pecans, pistachios, walnuts, brazil nuts and almonds can all cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and in some cases pancreatitis, seizures or an intestinal obstruction.


Sourdough ornaments, commonly made by children at school, are unfortuneatly at risk of being eaten by curious dogs and cats. They contain very high levels of salt, which can be toxic and even fatal.

Baking Gingerbread Men

Alcohol, either spilt, left over in a glass or in food, is toxic to animals.


Wrapping paper, ribbons, decorations and pot pourii are fun for pets to play with, but unfortunately can be eaten and cause vomiting and potentially an intestinal obstruction requiring surgery.

Christmas Tree with Presents

Blue Cheese although a tasty and traditional human christmas treat, contains roquefortine C, a neurotoxin that can cause salivation, vomiting, weakness and seizures.

Blue Cheese Crumbles