Brexit and Your Pet

Has the Pet Travel Scheme changed following Brexit?


  • Yes. 

  • A Pet Passport alone is now no longer enough, as you won’t be allowed to enter the EU with just a Pet Passport.


  • You’ll need an additional document – an Animal Health Certificate (AHC).


  • An AHC must be issued by a vet in the UK within 10 DAYS of travel to the EU. 


  • Your AHC is then valid for re-entry to the UK for up to 4 months from the date of issue – essentially replacing the Pet Passport for trips of 4 months or less.

Can I still use my Pet Passport / should I keep it?


  • We would advise keeping it, although for most trips it won’t be needed, as the AHC will replace the need for it. 

Do I still need to meet the previous requirements (microchipping / rabies vaccine / worming)?


All other requirements remain the same:


  • Your pet must be microchipped


  • A rabies vaccination must be given at least 21 days before travel


Your dog must be treated against tapeworm before travelling back to the UK.


  • Treatment must be administered by a vet in the EU not less than 24 hours (1 day) and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before the dog's scheduled arrival time in the UK.

  • Treatment date and time must be recorded by the vet in the pet’s documentation.

  • Tapeworm treatment must be contain Praziquantel to be effective against Echinococcus tapeworm

Trips longer than 4 months or travelling between EU countries: 


What if I’m travelling between EU countries or coming back after 4 months?


  • If you are planning to stay in the EU for longer than 4 months, then you either need a Pet Passport (issued in the UK or the EU), or:


  • A GB Pet Health Certificate, issued by a vet in the EU with 10 DAYS of return to the EU.


  • Looking at the options (between a Pet Passport or a GB Pet Health Certificate), a Pet Passport seems the better choice as it allows unlimited trips to re-enter the UK and allows travel between EU countries

Can I still get a Pet Passport in the UK?


  • No – vets in the UK can no longer issue Pet Passports now, we can only issue AHCs.

Where can I get a Pet Passport now?


  • Vets in the EU should be able to issue a Pet Passport. 

  • You should enquire with a veterinary clinic in the EU country you wish to reside in or travel from.